Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Review: ender's game

Review: ender's game

An old book. Reread. For what? Orson scott card's powerful mythic
storytelling?

Is it not also the story of cain and abel? The murder of one by
another?

That to murder, one must have compassion and understanding for ones
enemy, to think like they think. (On wikipedia air force strategy about
getting inside their decision making loop). And then surprising them.

And what is it all to me? Genesis. Chapter 1. Cain and abel. The oldest
profession is of course murder.

And why is that? Why is that abel the shephard was slain by his brother
the farmer? http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/cain.html

What does guns, germs and steel have to stay about the extermination
"native" peoples, or animals? That generation after generation have
fought over access to the same resources.

There is only this earth - use it for shepharding or farming, who can
raise the larger army?

And this is what has been hiding from me.
Or what I have been hiding from myself.
It is so old among all that is so new.
And it is why two thousand years later I read from a book that there is
nothing new under the sun.

I have looked.
Could I not try this to create new wealth without injury?
Could I make money this way and do no harm?

And I have failed.
A rich fisherman is as rich as the number of fish he has slain.
A rich farmer is as rich as the number of seeds he has plucked.
A euphemism for holocaust.

And so in ender's game, ender is called to face his enemy, to learn, to
win, and to win completely.

Who is my enemy?
I have not wanted enemies.
I have not wanted to fight to make my way.
But there is just this one earth.
Just this one customer.
And I want to live so it had better be mine.

That is why the social sciences do not progress like the material
sciences.

There is no moral or ethical equivalent of Moore's law, doubling our
compassion every so many years.

The imperative of millions of generations of ancestors drives us to
survive, by acquire resources as needed.

P184 we don't have to like it.

Fine I will find someone who has too much to eat.

Joshua Paul
Neo Code Software
604 638 0668 ph, 604 638 0666 fx
#288 - 425 Carrall St., Vancouver, BC V6B 6E3, Canada
http://www.neocodesoftware.com/

No comments: