Thursday, February 18, 2010

This is it - we are hungry. We are Cain.

Modern man: I am hungry. I have to eat. So I eat. I eat sunshine,
ancient sunshine, the moon, a comet, cosmic radiation from the big
bang, rivers, oceans, forests, species, ozones, languages and cultures.

200 year ago man: I too was hungry. I had to eat. So I ate. I ate
streams, lakes, forests, species, languages and cultures.

2000 year ago man: I too was hungry. I had to eat. So I ate. I ate
streams, forests, languages and cultures.

20,000 year ago man: I too was hungry. I had to eat. So I ate. I ate
cultures.

A curse. Forever eating, always hungry, never full.

Wade Davis, Jared Diamond and Joseph Tainter help us understand
mechanisms but not the inspiration or passion or motivation for
culture eating, or why cultures push themselves to over exploit or why
cultures rush to add complexity.

We are born hungry.

The dog And the bone
Antigone
Goldilocks and the three bears
Rumplestiltskin
Samson and Delilah
Sleeping Beauty

The stories examine the hunger and it's conseqeunces.

No comments: