Saturday, December 08, 2012

What was I doing?


I was looking to buy something.
I wanted something new.
(The Keurig K-cup disposable single use coffee maker.)

Why?
To feel better

Why would buying feel better?
Because my life in someone would be better than before.
Because I would have something new.
Because I would have something to look forward to.

Then I thought - me too.
I want to make something new.
I want to make something that people are excited to buy.
I want to make something that people are looking forward to buying.
I was filled with passion.

And then I remembered listening to a documentary on the radio.
The documentary interviewed a scientist who said that differentiated us from animals was cumulative cultural evolution.

Which is what?
It is another way of saying we are not satisfied and want something better.

How?
I am not content to follow the ways of tent dwelling parents I will build a house. I am not content to hunt sheep, I will domesticate them.

Why?

Pay offs. Competitive advantage - more breeding.

Examples
Christianity and atheism
Innocent until proven guilty and the jury

Property rights and the corporation
Welfare and Medicare

All example of cumulative cultural evolution

And? So what?

Civ fail?
Profit?
Why software must update.
Why hardware must rev.
Why cars have years.
Why tv shows have seasons.

No comments: