Thursday, May 04, 2006

If you don't like what you are getting, stop what you are doing

If you don't like what you are getting, stop what you are doing

Are you wishing for enlightenment?
Do you expect to find it in online games?

Will making your own game be enlightening?

I played
Fiumaccio and santa paravia - pdp8 game
Taipan - apple ][

Kingdom of loathing, which started it all for me again online

An open source game legend of the green dragon
Simple but fun. Maybe too simple. But with tutor.

Then I played smokymonkeys.com javascript diablo clone. Impressive
graphics and game - but a clone. Paced to slow? Too repetitive?

I checked out urban dead. Clunk interface. Not immediately fun.

Then looked at graal, and banja. Too many hoops to jump through before
playing.

I did not learn guitar, or study korean, study for fm8 certification, or
meditate, or clean my files. Or work, or look for work. Or prepare
learning materials for my kids. Or sleep.

I still want a game that:
- gives you points for making content - for example linking the chain of
consumption for the all roads wiki
- gives you points for fighting real monsters - human trafficking,
corruption, pollution, hunger, greed itg and itrw
- gives you points for recycling and sharing items itg and itrw
- isn't just random numbers but not just zork or myst or quake or civ3
or starcraft
- but doing any of that - how has it made the world better or suck less?

No comments: