Friday, December 14, 2007

How many miles to babylon?

What I know to be true, is that humans, like angels and spirits are able
to travel through multiple worlds. Humans, by and large, are unaware of
it. We are too busy brushing our teeth, or forgetting to take out the
garbage until the last minute, to notice that when we have entered
another world.

Some humans are better able to sense the boundaries of worlds, and fewer
still can see the doors. Some can travel when they are asleep, and some
when they are awake.

I can see the doors, when I dream and when I am awake. I can see the
possibilities of the worlds ripple around me, bits and pieces of many
different worlds poking into this one, just as this one pokes into
theirs.

I learned many bitter lessons when I was a child that the doors between
worlds close behind you and you can't go back through the one you came
through.

I learned as a boy to try every door to see if I can go back, and I have
found a few. When I was younger, I wrote them down, I memorized them, I
carried the book and mapped my progress so I could always get back to
where I was before. I didn't want to be trapped, I needed away to
escape.

And now, I don't travel. The doors are there, but though there are
probably infinite worlds, each is filled suffering and death, and
brother killing brother.

I have looked and looked and looked. There is no way back to the
garden.

And the knowledge of this has become a heavy fist around my intestines.

No comments: