Tuesday, June 20, 2006

All burned up - the twisted wreckage of dream

11pm need some time on my own
Follow up on some dreams
Why am I so pressed for time?
What is wrong with my life > job?
Answer - my computer isn't small enough.
My hiptop is good - but email has no memory.
The applications aren't good enough.
In short - the knife is too dull - the cook is fine.
But is that ever true?
Visited www.handtops.com - and www.dynamism.com. Read www.pcmag.com
reviews. I don't want japan only hardware or more than $2k prices. And I
want backlit keyboard like the hiptop and my 17" powerbook. So far the
sony vaio vgn ux 180 for $1799, shipping mid july fits the bill. Readily
available. 3rd generation unit. Known brand. Standard parts. Now wait
for refurb units? Also need to see how it can be used as a cell phone -
not voip.
Will it really help me be more productive or will I just be able to
waste more cycles faster.
Also can I hold the sony vaio vgn ux 180 in front of me while I am lying
down?

Still need the battery powered wireless bluetooth / wireless vga /
wireless usb kvm. I should patent it and go to taiwan and find someone
to make it. Draw it. Patent it - or design it. And then mail it to lots
of places. But I don't know if it can be patented. But I can call the
ubc patent librarian or the other patent helper.

Next.

At the same time playing www.kingdomofloathing.com. My cogagni character
completed the pagoda quest following the spoiler at
kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/. I spawn multiple kolmafia v8.0 clients
now, and run all my multis at the same time - more or less. It takes
some time figuring what they need or what they should do.

I don't know why. Because its hard. Because I want to collect the things
in the game. Because I want to see what happens. Because I want to go
certain places. Because money can't buy everything. Or because $10 can't
buy everything. Because I like running a machine that makes things even
if they are virtual things. Because there's a clear path to follow to
win - and I want the feeling of winning at something even if it is
artifical especially because figuring out how to win at Neo Code is so
hard or so tedious (is that the right word to mean requires patience?).

Finally I remember the joy of renting the jet ski at harrison hot
springs, and want to know how much they cost to buy used. The thrill of
controlling so much power was exhilirating. The memory of holding on
despite aching muscles and twisting the jet ski back on itself are so
exciting I want to repeat them. Vancouver.craigslist.org has them for
sale from $2900 including trailers for 10 year old units in good
condition - and they are new from $6900.

However I read about the many deaths associated with them due to their
lack braking and lack of turning when there is no throttle. This becomes
a problem when people are driving too fast and too close to each other
and can't steer out of a collision causing death. This is a problem of
allowing the units to be rented without sufficient education testing.
There is no test procedure to insure renters a qualified to operate the
lethal jet ski.

I also looked at selling the ibm netfinity servers on ebay - and review
the ebay analysis tools and hot prodcut reports from andale and others.
I posted them to my del.icio.us account. One of the companies is from
victoria, and they have a free tool for buyers to compare current
product prices to historical averages. These tools would be good to see
if sleeping socks, candles, baby clothes are a hot product. These
reports are subscriptions for $25/month. Or perhaps I can see about
sourcing these from korea.

What I want is less stress from Neo Code. And that means less
variability, more homogeneaity. This means having a products and
services list and sticking to it because providing support for
everything isn't working.

Products:

Hosting - pain is risk management

Hosting - filemaker 7 or 8 - pain is web stats > commercial app or
opensource web config
Ex. Ahi

Hosting - colocation - pain is backup and bandwidth accounting > get
cacti or use web stats which reads ftp and email - as above
Ex. Transparen

Hosting - publish button - pain is setup / migration
Ex. Bsda

Hosting - ecommerce - pain is setup / uptime
Ex. Imprint

Services

Site moves - pain is order detail confirmation and staff to implement
Ex. Bsda

Software install - pain is scheduling and staff to implement
Ex. Mac appraisal

Custom software development - pain is client and staff management
Ex. Slfa & portables

Actually - pain is HR.

I can solve these by outsourcing the pain.

Redundant Firewall - use a product with support and install etc. How
much is allstream firewall?

Or hosted exchange email?

But how do I get redundancy - now dependancy is moved from internal
staff to outside supplier.

Move to utilities.

Hosted email - exchange.
Hosted backups - ?.
Hosted firewall - allstream or upstream.
Hosted spam - mxlogic.
Hosted boxes - 2 providers - or godaddy?

Move the stuff to outside supplier that I can - and just do the stuff I
have to do.

Take provider sla and add margin to it.

No comments: