Wednesday, October 10, 2007

3am dream -

Working late one night, all my staff had gone home except the new
sysadmin who was showing me what a good job he had done organizing and
cleaning up the server room. He had done a really good job putting
everything away. I offered a few suggestions and encouragements.

It had been dark outside for a while, and it was time to go, when the
phone rang. Normally, I would be nervous, wondering which client was
calling to complain about a server failure, but I had just reviewed the
monitoring system so I was sure everything was fine.

I answered the phone curious to see who it was. It was the building
maintenance guy, he sounded surprised to reach me, and explained he had
called the wrong number by mistake. I hung up and turned to the new
sysadmin who was waiting patiently and said it was strange for him to
call.

Then there was a knock on the door. We looked at each other, but neither
of us was expecting anyone.

"Who's there?" I asked through the door.

No answer.

Who could it be? What did they want?

Maybe it was a mistake.

But my heart started to pound, and my stomach began to burn.

I looked through the spyhole and saw two huge guys I had never seen
before in front of the door.

Immediately I put the chain on the door, but before I could finish the
door exploded backwards and they were in the room staring at us.

I knew it wasn't good that they weren't wearing masks.
I knew it wasn't good that I had talked to the building maintenance
guy.
I knew they were here for something, and they were going to get it.

No comments: