Wednesday, August 30, 2006

The mystery of the software salesperson

Once upon a time, I had a software company that need customers

So I looked and looked and I hired a guy to sell software. He worked in
toronto and found lots of leads. But he wasn't used to deal with RFPs
and failed.

So I was depressed I had failed and decided I would never hire a
salesperson again.

But along can I came a guy that could sell anything over the phone. He
was always able to find himself work, but the people he hired for me
couldn't close like he could so they failed.

So I was depressed I had failed and decided I would never hire a
salesperson again.

But then a terrible thing happened. Our biggest customer asked for a
written RFP and I knew that though I try my best and learn a lot I
couldn't win because they had selected a winner already.

So I did my best - which wasn't that good and lost. And without that
contract I was going to be out a job. And I vowed I would win by finding
someone who could.

And I did. I remembered a guy who done a good writing a business plan. I
didn't get the deal but the plan was good.

I didn't get the deal but it was good. So not good enough.

So he is hired, through no fault of my own.

And here is now the troulbes I bring before you:
- an increase in 3 x of his salary
- not commission
- flexible hours - not 8hrs x 5 days
- scaring them away with big numbers

No comments: