Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Fear of failure vs destiny favors the bold

Years ago, when my wife and I were looking to buy our first apartment -
she found a gorgeous place in kits for 180k that's now worth 550k in
just over 6 years. I was scared to buy it because it was a leaky condo,
however the owner would cover a portion, and the final price wasn't
known.

I was too scared to buy it and lost out.

On the flip side, we built a beautiful r2000 house on trout lake.
However to make mortgage payments, we need to share our house, which
makes life stressful.

If she another job we could share the house with fewer people.

If I had better paying job we could share the house with fewer people.

But we don't.

And I don't ever want to move.

This is the most perfect house ever.

So there's a chance to buy a franchise that has the potential to make
more money than seagate.

As always my goal is just to see the deal done, earn a commission, and
buy a small piece of the equity.

Pros
1. Its in calgary, which is growing
2. Its in cosmetic dental surgery, which is growing
3. Its backed by a large multinational, with a growing share of the
market
4. The vendor has a history of protecting markets
5. Every other franchise makes money
6. Training is provided

Cons
1. Its in calgary, not vancouver
2. Even with financing the startup costs would require all my resources
3. Finding staff in calgary isn't easy
4. The greedy dog barks at his reflection and loses the steak he has
5. It does not fill me with happiness to baby sit it
6. Executing the marketing plan will take cash

No comments: