Sunday, June 10, 2007

Houston day 1

United airlines - please don't worry about losing my bags in denver. I
am sure you will find them. Was it the whisky I bought tempting one of
your handlers? Or was it my green suit? Or my underwear? Likely it was
my deodorant and toothpaste.

Airport shuttle - your extra friendly counter staff, arguing with your
customers is extremely refreshing. Who knew customers could be so wrong?
Also having your driver circle the houston airport an extra time gave me
time to appreciate just how large the airport is. And then compliments
to the drivers racing skill and the vans poor suspension. The exhaustion
I felt from my trip was quickly replaced excitement and adrenalin.

The westin galleria - the web site is clean and fresh, which makes
arriving so surprising. I read on wikipedia that houston maybe the most
air conditioned city. The lobby was nice and chilly, and the welcome
smell of air con decay, or old carpets and furniture filed my nose.

The lobby, hallways and elevator are all in a style that's back in
fashion in again. I am glad to see the westin is not updating anything
and should be commended on minimizing its environmental impact by
needlessly redecorating.

But entering the room was great. An icy blast met me, and the powerful
engine of the air con comforted me.

However it wasn't until I counted all the money I would save by not
drinking the $6 shots at the mini bar, or drinking the $4 bottled water
that had been left out, was I really happy.

Happiness found, I tackled the internet. Of course the instructions are
there just as a puzzle to test my skills, I do so love a teaser. The
jokers red herring of rebooting my own computer was devilishly clever.
Of course I had to reboot the rooms router at pay $10/24hrs before I
could access the internet.

Before bed I had a quick bath. Again thankfully they hadn't renovated
the bathroom and kept all that junk for ending up in the landfill.

No comments: