Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Another ipod replaced

A sad story
A tale of woe
Make sure you have a hanky close by

It all begin with wanting to make my ecommerce software iphone
compatible. Not wanting to buy a grey market iphone in canada I was left
with the decision of either an 8gb or a 16gb itouch.

But you're interrupting me to ask why I didn't want to buy an illegal
iphone in canada? Doesn't supported hardware and software give you
enough trouble? I don't work more work and headaches and hassles. I
don't need an iphone anymore than anyone else needs an iphone. The
itouch gives me mobile safari which is good enough.

Anyway back to my story. I picked the 16gb, knowing that if I wanted to
listen to music, watch movies, and look at photos I would need as much
space as possible. Really it was greed. I wanted as much as possible. So
I got the supersized itouch.

Within two months I had broken the stereo. The headphone jacks no longer
played stereo sound.

Why? I had plugged my dj style sony headphones in and they have a large
mini jack - yes its an oxymoron but its true. The large mini jack
coupled with the long heavy cord, coupled with being put into my pocket,
coupled with my deep jeans pocket meant the mini jack got moved around
while inside the itouch effectively lobotomizing it.

I wasn't worried I had bought future shop warranty. Idiot. $99 for
coverage apple provides for $79. I bought the applecare too. Double
idiot. So what?

A couple days after talking to apple tech support (don't call on a
weekend!) I got a box in the mail and shipped my itouch out after
following their instructions. Two days later I got my replacement.

Wow! Great service.

Now I am sending my 2nd itouch back.

Why? Because it crashes. The sound stops and the screen slowly fades to
white and can't be turned off or on. Holding down the sleep/week and
home buttons doesn't really work.

I expect to have my 3rd itouch soon.

One forum poster I read, said that he got a universal dock, but being in
canada I think we get nothing. But I can always hope...

No comments: